Sunday, October 8, 2017

Family History Month - post 7

Yesterday was absolutely nuts, so I didn't get a chance to post anything, so I'll post twice today. Today's first post is DNA-related, since I can't get enough time to work on my genetic genealogy as much as I'd like to.

I was curious to see how much DNA I shared with my maternal grandmother, in terms of what chromosomes and how much of each. I posted the percentages before, that I calculated using the free tool from Legacy Tree Genealogists. But now that I've uploaded my results to FTDNA, I wanted to do some further comparisons.


A few things surprised me. First, my grandma and I share no DNA on chromosome 3 at all. I thought I would share DNA on every chromosome with someone so closely related, but no. That means that anyone that matches my mom and I on chromosome 3 has to be related through my mom's dad's side. Very interesting.

Chromosomes 6, 13, 15, 18, and 21 are almost entirely from my grandma. I guess this was surprising as I didn't expect to have so many chromosomes entirely match. If anything, I expected more of a match on the X chromosome, but most of my X comes from my maternal grandpa. It'd be interesting to test my daughter (the only one of my kids to get an X from me) and see how she compares.

The most surprising thing is all of this orange represents only about 25% of my DNA. Now that I think of it, it really represents about 50% of my chromosomes, but only the ones I got from my mom. Maybe I'll compare my mom and my uncle and see what they look like.

No comments: