After a three-month hiatus, I have returned to blogging! It's been tough finding the time to blog, in between three jobs, three kids, and myriad other responsibilities. When push comes to shove, you have to do what puts food on the table first, right?
But now that things have finally slowed down, I can get back to some serious blogging about my research. I have some exciting plans for 2018! Here are a few of them:
1. Rootstech! I can't overstate how excited I am to be attending Rootstech for the first time next week. Five days of genealogy, DNA, the Family History Library, old friends, and maybe even some food and sleep. Aaaaah! :)
2. Jamboree in June. This makes fourth or fifth year in a row that I've attended Jamboree, and the first year I've attended more than one major conference in a year. I'm super grateful that my wife is willing to help me get to both of these conferences this year.
3. Big genealogy goals - I have two major genealogy goals that I want to accomplish this year.
a. Identify the biological father of Bettye Harris. I've put this off for a few years, while I've dug into other projects, but this year, I want to finally tackle this one.
b. Identify the slaves held by Lewis and Lucinda (Berry) Harris. I've wondered for years what became of them after emancipation. I know where the Harrises lived in 1860, so I'm gonna jump into the area's records and see if I can track any of them down. Family lore says some, if not all, followed them up to Montana. We'll just see about that. :)
4. Continue my professional research. I have absolutely LOVED doing genealogy professionally. I have learned and stretched a lot this last year, and I still have a long ways to go. I need to polish my writing skills, and push myself to make better use of my clients' time.
5. Blog more. I have made some really interesting discoveries, both professionally and personally, and want to share more about them here. I think I need to work on shorter blog posts. I tend to ramble a lot, and when I don't have the time to sit down and write down everything I want to say, I just don't do it. In this case, less would be more - less lenghty posts = more posts in general. Don't want to have to take another 3 month break from blogging.
So yeah, 2018 is looking very exciting! What are your plans for this year? Have you made any awesome discoveries already? Let me know!