Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Tombstone Tuesday - Pauline (Rosen) Joseph


This is the gravestone of my 2nd-great-grandmother, Pauline (Rosen) Joseph. I don't know much about her, as I've only found her in a very few records so far. The earliest record I have of her is the passenger lists departing Liverpool, England (she was originally from Russia, specifically the Volhynia area of what is now Ukraine) and arriving in Montreal, Quebec in October 1905. The next record is the 1906 Census of Manitoba, where she's listed with her husband, Samuel, and their five children - Olga, Augusta, Lydia, Amil (aka Elmer), and Helena. Sadly, the next records she appears in are her death records, one from Christ Lutheran Church in Winnipeg, and the province-issued death certificate. The church's death record gives her birth date as 15 April 1868, which is interesting considering she's buried in that same church's cemetery, where her gravestone gives her a birth date of 11 April 1867.

But all in all, I know so little about her. I'd like to learn more, and hopefully with some help from the SGGEE (Society of German Genealogy in Eastern Europe) and other resources, I'll be able to track down some more information on her.

No comments: